Higher Education


On Tuesday, February 14th 2017(Valentines Day) I was one of the many students that attend Higher Education Day at the Oklahoma State Capitol.

At the State Capitol, I was able to speak to representatives and tell them why higher education is important to me.

I am a first generation college student, and higher education has made an impact on my life.

Before college...

The high school that I went to was a place where everyone knew each other, literally. I was one of the few Mexicans that attended my high school and that was able to graduated. When I was looking for colleges to apply to, I looked for different things that each one offered.




I was able to get a few scholarships for college because I had good grades, a high GPA, and was involved in many student clubs in high school.

UCO...

I attend the University of Central Oklahoma(UCO), located in Edmond, Oklahoma. I am currently in my second year of college. Attending UCO has been my best decision.

I have been able to learn different life lessons that I would have never been able to learn if I had gone to a college that resembled my high school.

At UCO, I have improved my communication skills which has helped me learn how to network and build better relationships with others.

I have learned that not all of us come from the same backgrounds. This has helped me learn and understand different cultures.

Another skill that I have learned is that sometimes you will have to make decisions that might not be the one you agree on, but that will be the best for you.

These are all things that I am currently using now in life and that I will continue to use even after I graduate from college. I was able to share a few of these with different representatives and with my classmates that attended Higher Education Day.


"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
-Nelson Mandela


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sushi Rolling Night

Clara Luper

The Impact of Blogging on College Students