The Hatton W, Sumners Student Leadership Conference: Part 2

At the Hatton W, Sumners Student Leadership Conference I had the privilege to meet students from across the nation and also from different countries.

Thursday, February 23rd 2017

The first day of the conference.

I was spilt up from the students from my university and was put into a group with students from different universities. At first I was not sure what to expect and was nervous about how the whole conference would go.

During the first night of the conference I was able to hear Nadia Lopez speak about her growing up on the Latino community and her journey to starting a school.

I was amazed by her speech, because earlier during the day I was speaking to one of my group members and he was talking about his passion for education and helping his community.

Friday, February 24th 2017

I was able to listen to Dr. Howard T. Prince. Dr. Prince is a clinical professor and holds the Loyd Hackler Endowed Chair in Ethical Leadership in the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Prince spoke about his experience in the U.S. Army.

Saturday, February 25th 2017

The last day of the conference.

I attended a workshop were I learned how to work with others and build effective teams. My group was given a task to build a building model out of newspaper, popsicle sticks, and tape. The building was required to hold a beach ball.

We were able to complete the task. The facilitator told is about how each one of us used our leadership skills to work as a team.

The Purrrfect 10...

I remember how nervous I was at first when meeting the people in my group. As I got to know each person better, I related more to them. We are all leaders at our own universities, but we also have our own stories and experiences that have helped us get us where we are today.





On the last day of the conference, my team leader brought my group a donut. It was only one donut for eleven people. Round Rock Donuts are famous for their their tasteful donuts and for the size of them.

Our team leader gave us a task that we could only grab the donut with a napkin and use one hand. We used team work and helped each other out and were able to finish the donut.

I really enjoyed this conference and was amazed to be surrounded by so many leaders.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sushi Rolling Night

Clara Luper

Powwow